I’m not a religious person but the last thing I want to do is antagonize those who don’t think like me and who do believe in a God.
In my readings I came across the Jewish concept of Ger Toshav. It kind of means resident alien. It was used in Israel at the time of Christ to refer to people who were not hereditary Jews but people willing to adapt themselves to regional customs without necessarily converting to Judaism: Galileans, Greeks, Galatians, whatever. Ger Toshav. Strangers. Their commitment was simply to follow the seven laws of Noah. Since I agree with these seven laws, I consider myself a Planetary Ger Toshav; a well-intention-ed alien who could probably reside anywhere and adapt.
Here are the seven laws:
- Not to worship idols. ( I hate Hollywood so it’s not a problem. Statues will be harder to quit)
- Not to curse God. ( Why curse something you don’t believe in?)
- To establish courts of justice. (OK)
- Not to commit murder. ( OK)
- Not to commit adultery, bestiality or sexual immorality. (OK)
- Not to steal. (OK)
- Not to eat flesh torn from living animal. (OK)
So pretty much, I’m a Planetary Ger Toshav since I get to keep my foreskin as well. That would have been be a deal breaker.